A casino in Enid, Alright???.If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process with the Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build an internet casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos across the state, you probably run into other folks you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation furnished by the casinos. These are the same somebody that has left our town and are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping in the stores, eating with the restaurants, and staying in the hotels in the area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was one of the many concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that appeared as if a video slot. We have got all seen the little digital bingo card on the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between the tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and so are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino is only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries and after that placed in a trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have casino, is the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota along with the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground with the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive elements of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken up operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes use the revenues to boost infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are set up.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent from the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something besides gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who employed to travel outside in the area now stays within the location.
12. More construction jobs are manufactured building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted method for governments to boost funds. It is seen as a source of money that is easier to obtain which is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an boost in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. here Fitness centers
Negative elements of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge about how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase in the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is termed an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more often, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, therefore it takes more gambling far better stakes, to obtain the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling fires up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to manage?